Monday, November 28, 2011

Best Fried Chicken

MOMOFUKU Noodle Bar
171 1st Avenue (between 10th and 11th street)
New York, NY 10003


If you are a young broke food lover like me, there are only a few ways to experience the mastery of David Chang without breaking the bank. As much as I would love to try MOMOFUKU KO or Ma Peche, I have happily resorted to sitting at the noodle bar for a pork bun and some brisket ramen, and on two special occasions I have scored the much sought after fried chicken reservation. The fried chicken dinner for 8 people consists of two whole fried chickens (one buttermilk fried and one korean-style), mu shu pancakes, fresh veggies, and a number of different sauces. Every person has a different way of consuming the fried chicken, but we all kick off dinner with a full sail session lager and a pork bun. My favorite part of the meal is when the waiter walks through the restaurant with the humongous plate of fried chicken - people at other tables stop eating to watch it go by and our table inevitably fields questions about where on the menu we found the fried chicken. Most of my guy friends go straight for the chicken - no sauce, no veggies - they just dive right in. One of my friends goes straight for the hoisin sauce, the chicken being an afterthought. As for me, I grab a mu shu pancake and slather it with sauce. I usually start with the korean-style chicken and pick it to the bone to produce enough meat for my pancake. After we all start eating, the silence ensues for at least 15 minutes or until the chicken on the plate is scarce. Finally with a chance to breath, the eight of us spend the rest of dinner in a food-induced coma, struggling to fit more in our stuffed stomachs, and raving about the fried chicken, the Best We Ever ate.



*The reservations go live at 10am every morning for a revolving seven day period. Go here and create an account. Then click and pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment