Friday, November 18, 2011

Best Huevos Rancheros

Clinton Street Baking Co.
4 Clinton Street
New York, NY 10002

One funny thing about being a teacher is that I quickly learned that just like the kids, we covet spontaneous snow days and sporadic holidays.  I never realized this growing up because I never imagined that my teachers had lives outside of school, no way! Well, when I do have a day off, I spend my time wisely and usually take advantage of restaurants that otherwise require a long wait during peak hours. My first snow day as a teacher, my friend and I decided to try Clinton Street Baking Co. which we had heard so much about but were always scared off by the hour+ wait on a weekend for brunch. As those who know me well might tell you, I am not that big of a breakfast eater. When I sit down to brunch, I immediately flip to the lunch portion of the menu and disregard the breakfast - unless, of course, they are offering huevos rancheros. When I sat down at Clinton Street Baking Co., my eyes were instantly drawn to their huevos rancheros and my mind was made up about my order before my friend even opened her menu. After little deliberation, my friend ordered the clinton st. omelette with egg whites, spinach, swiss and chorizo. Being the omelette connoisseur that she is, I was impressed at her declaration that her omelette was above par and agreed after I tried a bite. My dish, and Clinton Street Baking Co. as a whole, lived up to the hype - the huevos rancheros came with sunny side up eggs, red beans, guacamole, jalapeno sour cream, salsa picante, and pepper jack cheese on a flour tortilla, add chorizo? Yes please. Overall, it was a great meal and a perfect place to spend a lazy snow day brunch before braving the blizzard outside. If you ever find yourself in the lower east side on a weekday, stop at Clinton Street Baking Co. for some huevos rancheros, the Best I Ever ate.


* I have to give a shout-out here to an out of town favorite for huevos rancheros, Black-Eyed Susan's, a small restaurant on Nantucket with big flavor and amazing brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment