Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Best Cheap Italian

Bianca
5 Bleecker Street
New York, NY 10012

When I first moved to New York, a fellow teacher and close friend introduced me to Bianca, a tiny Italian place in NoHo. Bianca doesn't take reservations and rest assured, even if you think the nice Italian man taking names is flirting with you, you are almost guaranteed to wait an hour. But fear not! The restaurant is strategically linked to the wine-bar next door, Von. Von has a great selection of wines and you can even order a bottle to carry to your table at Bianca when it's (finally) ready. I usually go to Bianca for exactly what the my title suggests: cheap Italian. That being said, in an effort to be frugal, I haven't tried a lot of the appetizers but am occasionally blessed with a complimentary cheese plate if the wait for a table exceeds an hour. The main reasons to come to Bianca fall under the Paste section of the menu. The Gramigna con Salcicca E Peperoni is a fan favorite and is a big enough portion that leftovers usually provide lunch for the following day. The Tagliolini Ai Frutti Di Mare and the Tagliatelle Alla Bolognese are other great pasta staples. Overall, Bianca is a delightful experience - even the wait at Von is worthy of its own post - and when I am craving delectable and affordable Italian, I head to Bianca for Best I Ever ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment