Friday, October 28, 2011

Best Rock Shrimp Tempura Hand Roll

Koi 
40 West 40th Street
New York, NY 10018


When I tried to convince someone to help me write this review, they suggested I describe Koi as "an oasis where Asian fusion flavors explode in your mouth like atom bombs." Case and point that midtown needs more substantial dining options. Although it took some convincing for me to brave the power-lunch posse at Koi (expensive, in the 40s, and overflowing with suits? No thanks) I was pleasantly surprised. Everything from the Kobe Beef Potsickers to the Mizo Bronzed Black Cod was delicious and the fish is always fresh. What I like most about Koi is that you get what you order; the creations and creativity aren't going to blow your mind but the tastes are consistent and good. If the special Double Tuna Roll is available when you are there, it is a must - fresh sashimi style tuna inside with spicy tuna on top. The highlight of the meal for me was when the Rock Shrimp Tempura Hand Roll arrived. The highly anticipated hand rolls were creamy, spicy, crunchy, and generally amazing. Once upon a time I heard about someone who was dared to eat ten hand rolls and did so on top of a full dinner. I don't have to see it to believe it, the rock shrimp tempura hand rolls are just that addicting and by far the Best I Ever ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment