Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Best Grilled Cheese

Melt Shop
601 Lexington Ave @ 53rd Street
New York, NY 10002

After his many years of hard work and passion in the restaurant industry and kitchen, I was thrilled when my friend, Spencer Rubin, opened his first restaurant, Melt Shop, in midtown. Melt Shop is a restaurant focused on creative grilled cheese that embodies my personal opinion that you can melt cheese on anything and make it better. My first trip to Melt Shop was on a grey day in late April, little did I know that the tiny take-out window buried below Lexington Avenue was about to brighten my day. After being open for a mere two weeks, I was surprised (and happy) to find that there was a long line outside of the restaurant. When I finally made it to the window, I ordered the shop tots with melt sauce, the classic american cheese on white bread with tomato and bacon, and an arnold palmer.  My meal was exactly what I needed on a grey day coming off of a two-week vacation - the grilled cheese instantly put a smile on my face. I couldn't resist the temptation to eat an entire half of my sandwich out of the to-go box before I reached my destination. Melt Shop is one of those places I go where I say to myself, they just get it here. Great design from the menus to the website, delicious food from the tots to the sandwiches, and friendly staff behind the counter. Melt Shop definitely filled a void in midtown and I can't wait to see it expand around the city, offering everyone the chance to try their grilled cheese - the Best I Ever had.







No comments:

Post a Comment